BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

  •  In the early times, the locality was the center of trade using the barter system. Since the place was located within the borders of the Tuwali and Kalunguya speaking communities, the people can speak and understand both dialects. They act as interpreters and negotiators to traders and act as pacifiers whenever there are conflicts. Originally, the name of the place was Pah-adan. However, when a trader from Gonhadan (probably Guinsadan of Bauko, Mountain Province) came to trade his ceramic jars, he said to the Tuwali speaking people of Kiyangan and Banawol, “sina abe di asi takun pun-aabatan”, meaning “it is here where we will meet”. From then on, it become abatan to traders until eventually, the place was called Abatan.
  • In 1942, a public school was put up at Sitio Awa where it was called Kinga School. Two flags are being raised daily. The American flag was raised higher than the Filipino flag. The first teachers are Pait Buyuccan of Poblacion, Hungduan and Joaquin Dugyon of Burnay. After one and a half year, the war broke out and the school was closed.
  • In 1953, the people of the community constructed a temporary school building made out of wood, runo and cogon. The school was named as Abatan School. It later became Abatan Primary School.
  • In 1963, Abatan was formally declared as barrio of Hungduan, Ifugao, Mountain Province by virtue of executive order No. 42 series of 1963 when Ifugao was not yet created as a lone district. It was then a sub-province of the old Mountain Province.
  • From 1964 to 1965, outmigration of the populace in the barangay begins. It started when Cabbigat Pugong, one of the kadangyan in the community heard about Malabing – a fertile land and a forested mountain of Nueva Viscaya and settled there. He went back home and called his families and friends. Up to 1970, migration continues. Some settled in Didipio and parts of Quirino Province.